ansvr - local astrometry.net plate solver for Windows
The ansvr bundle allows Sequence Generator Pro users to run the
Astrometry.net plate solver on their PC
in place of the nova.astrometry.net Web service. This allows SGP users
to access the Astrometry.net plate solver without an internet
Although ansvr was originally written for SGP, several other applications are now
using ansvr as a convenient way to run the Astrometry.net plate
solving engine on the local Windows PC. If you are
or another application that can make use of ansvr, please
follow the installation instuctions below, but simply stop at the
point where the instuctions start talking about configuring SGP. At that point you have a fully functioning ansvr / Local Astrometry.net installation and you can proceed to setup your application to use it.
Application developers: information about adding ansvr communication to your software application is here: ansvr developer notes.
- Download the installer: ansvr-setup-0.20.exe. [ChangeLog]
[Windows XP Info]
- Run the installer
- Click Next or choose an alternate install location:
- Click Next or choose an alternate Start Menu folder name:
- Click Next or choose an alternate port number for ansvr:
- Click Install:
- Wait for files to extract. The progress bar will look like it is stuck in the middle for a long time. Be patient...
- Click Finish. You can leave both boxes checked.
- Now you will download the astrometric index files that you need for your setup. Select the files you need and click Start. The files are very large (increasingy so for the narrower FOV indexes) and it can take a very long time to download them.
- Progress of the download is in a separate window. Close the window if you need to cancel the download. Next time you run the index file downloader, progress will resume where it left off.
- Confirm that ansvr is running by opening the Ansvr Settings item in the start menu
- A page like this will open in a web browser window with the ansvr
settings. If you see this page, ansvr is running. The setup program
put an icon into the Windows Start Menu Startup folder to
automatically start ansvr whenever you log in, so ansvr will always be
- If you want to watch the ansvr log file, Click Watch Ansvr Log in the Start Menu folder to open a window viewing the log file. You can close the window when done. Ansvr will not be affected by closing the window; you can still do blind solves regardless of whether the window is open or not.
- Configure SGP to use the local solver. Open the Control Panel:
Select the Plate Solve tab, and click Blind Settings. Select ANSVR.
In older versions of SGP (220.127.116.11 and earlier) you need to copy and paste the following value into the End Point setting:
- Now test a plate solve: open an image in SGP, right-click, Plate Solve, Blind Solve
Windows XP Compatibility
The most recent version of ansvr is based on a version of cygwin that is not compatible with Windows XP. You can still use ansvr on Windows XP by running an older version of the installer
- Install ansvr-setup-0.18.exe, the most recent version that was compatible with XP
- After the installation is complete, select Check for Ansvr Updates from the Start menu Astrometry.net Local Solver folder. This will update the ansvr script only, keeping the cywin installation at the XP-compatible older version.
You can get help on ansvr by posting on the Main Sequence Software forum, or you can contact me directly:
andy DOT galasso AT gmail DOT com